Telehealth is a smart and secure solution for connecting patients and doctors no matter where they live or work.
For people in rural, remote and regional parts of Australia it can be a lifeline to healthcare and one that is increasingly important as communities confront coronavirus.
How does it work?
A 13 DOCTOR video consultation is an online consultation between a patient and a registered Australian doctor via a smartphone or computer. Video consultations can be used to diagnose common medical problems or enquire about medical conditions and treatments.
The service operates seven days a week providing access to healthcare during the day and at night when regular GP practices are closed. Doctors can arrange scripts and medical certificates.
Video doctor consultations follow the same privacy and confidentiality requirements that apply to face-to-face consultations. 13 DOCTOR uses data encryption and fulfils national healthcare security standards.
What are the benefits?
There are many benefits for using video or phone consultations for both patients and the entire healthcare system. These include:
- ACCESS: Online consultations eliminate the need for patients to commute to a medical clinic. They allows patients to access medical attention when and where they need it without leaving their home.
- EASY TO USE: An internet connection and smartphone, tablet or computer is all that is needed for an online telehealth consultation.
- SAFE: Online video and phone consultations reduce the risk of patients spreading sickness and disease by allowing people to see and speak to a doctor from their home.
How do I book a consult?
The booking system is simple.
- You will receive a confirmation email and SMS confirming the doctor has your booking and an estimated appointment time
- The doctor will send you an SMS message with a URL link for you to click to start your secure video consult
- If a medical certificate or script medication is needed, your doctor will send you an email